Tuesday, June 14, 2005

YEAH, WELL, SORT OF

Checked the LCD Soundsystem gig last Friday, and while I must say that they are an entertaining band live, the performance left a bit to be desired. Nancy, the keyboardist, looked like she was stuck at a boring piano recital, and someone drunkenly played the intro to Yeah in the wrong key. This was my third time seeing the band, the first being at All Tomorrow's Parties in England. At that point, it was before the record came out, and they seemed to have quite a bit more vitality then they did at Webster Hall. It was still an energetic show, but as one that looks for on stage presence/banter, etc, it left something to be desired (aside from James yelling for Whiskey and Champagne, which I found amusing). Oh well, I still dig their 12's and DFA productions in general, but I don't think im going to check them out live again anytime soon.

The opening band, The Juan McLean, were underwhelming. I absolutely love their new LP, but they might as well have brought a laptop out and hit play. I would have given up my firstborn to hear "Give Me Every Little Thing" which I consider to be one of the best things DFA have ever done, but alas, no. Not hating, but slightly disappointed, as they have live potential dripping out of their pores. I just hope they realize it eventually.

Last night, I checked Grand National, who I knew from "The Difference" released on Output recordings, as well as an vinyl-only EP they released on UK label Sunday Best. This was their live US debut, and I must say it was an excellent show in every respect. One qualm though: My brother wanted to buy a CD/ shirt to support the band and there was no merch table to be seen. You play these initial gigs to increase your stateside exposure, and it seems counterproductive not to sell your music. Annoying.

Tonight, I'm checking Mouse On Mars at the Knitting Factory. Everyone I know that's seen their live performance has been blown away, so I'm extremely excited to check them out.

2 comments:

Dave Hughes said...

I would like to take issue with this review of the LCD Soundsystem, yes I would, and I would like to assert that no other band in the last few years has proven themselves so eminently capable of reducing me to a quivery mass of sweat and devotion. Maybe Colin wasn't close enough to the stage, wasn't being blinded enough by the strobe lights, wasn't bouncing up and down enough on Webster Hall's surprisingly springy floor. No, James/the band don't talk much during the show, but it seems to me that that is so they can go absolutely apeshit while they are playing their songs, which they certainly did. Oh, and Colin, dude, sorry I didn't see you there.

CJN said...

stage left, sucka!

just disappointed for some reason, but that may be because im a sad bastard.

cjn