Monday, June 27, 2005

DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is one of my favorite albums ever. Period. They've just re-released it, with bonus tracks, singles, etc. Read the pitchfork review here. Also, check the just-posted interview with Dizzee Rascal.

At one point, before Boy in Da Corner came out, I had an early promo (after having listened to the exclusive streaming tracks on the Radio 1 website over and over). My girlfriend at the time and I were listing to it, waiting for a delivery (fresh direct?) to arrive. When the deliveryman came, he was like
"what the hell is this?"
"Erm, Dizzee Rascal, this guy from East London"
"I'm not gonna fib man, I've been standing outside your door for a few minutes listening to this. its dope."
I proceeded to scribble the name down for him, slightly sketched that he was just standing outside the door for a period of time, but equally stoked that he was into the sound.

So there you have it. An early indication as to the crossover appeal of Dizzee, however I don't think he's gotten as big in the US as many thought he would. Probably just takes a big-name collaboration to propell him into mainstream hip-hop and R&B radio. I'm not sure.

No comments: